Help us build our diaper fund!

Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

MilkShare

I have decided to donate some of my breast milk since I am running out of room to store it.  I am not sure how I feel about it yet.  I really wanted to be able to freeze enough to be able to quit pumping early, but I underestimated the amount of freezer space this would require.  I have filled up four freezers, not all of them full, but not all of them are mine either.  I just came upon the 6-month mark of some of the breast milk and I needed to use it before it went bad.  Some sources say that in a deep-freeze it can be safe well over 6-months, but a lot of sources say 6 months is the max and I would rather err on the side of caution.

I posted my information on MilkShare with all my 'stats' and then waited.  I wasn't sure anyone would want it because I do take one prescription medication that some people may not be comfortable with.  Within 24-hours I had a few inquiries and I started to second guess what I had done.  I knew I could just delete my information and keep my milk, but then what would I do?  Start feeding it to the rest of my family in lieu of Kemp's? 

I decided to contact one woman who had identical twin boys who have a true preservative allergy.  She is unable to produce milk for her boys even though she had no problems with her previous two children.  We shared stories and information and I decided to go ahead and ship her my precious milk.  She had two coolers, packing tape, replacement milk storage bags, and UPS labels shipped to me and all I had to do was pack it up and schedule a pick-up with UPS. 

I just sent off the first cooler of milk this afternoon and am planning on sending the other one next Monday.  I am very happy to be able to help someone, but I also feel a bit of a loss.  I worked hard for that milk, pumping every two hours for 12-weeks straight, and I am still tired from it :)

If only someone would pay me for my milk and then I could take a week-long vacation where all I would do is sleep............a sleepcation!!

2 comments:

Kim and Steve said...

Wow, I'm really proud of you. What a blessing to be able to share something so special and priceless with another family. Very, very few people in the world have an opportunity to give like this.

Anne said...

Donating your breast milk is a wonderful act of generosity. Kudos!