Help us build our diaper fund!

Search This Blog

Monday, May 3, 2010

My Name is Amy and I am a Baby Gear Whore

I think they should have a support group for women addicted to baby gear.  I can't be the only one that obsessively reads up on everything for their babies and children before buying, can I?  It's not that I am a snob, well maybe a little, but that if I am going to pay for something (baby gear isn't cheap) then I want to make darn sure that I am buying something I will love and won't regret down the road.  I read about the product on the manufacturers website, I then read opinions on as many different sites that I can find, I will look it up in consumer reports, check in with all of my fellow Moms and then I head to the store to get a feel for it in person.  Sometimes I will go back to the store quite a few times.

Ever since I found out we were having twins I have been searching for the perfect stroller.  I love strollers in a way you cannot imagine.  I have owned a Graco travel system, Graco DuoGlider, Graco Citilite, Maclaren Volo, Zooper Boogie, Peg Perego Triplette (2 of them), Burly D'Lite (2 of them), a full-sized Combi, and a Peg Perego Pliko.  I may have missed a few but you get the picture.  I started my search of the perfect double stroller with the Bumbleride Indie Twin, Maclaren Twin Techno and the Zooper Tango.   I was going to go with the Maclaren without testing it because I loved the Volo so much and because it would be more affordable for us, but I had to go into the store and try it out.  That is when my best laid plans went down the tube.

I went to Baby On Grand in St. Paul with the intention of trying out the Bumbleride Indie Twin and the Maclaren Twin Techno and there in the corner was this beautiful white stroller I had never seen before.  I took a look at the Bumbleride and quickly decided that it was not going to be coming home with me.  I loved the Bumbleride Flyer, but the indie was heave and bulky when folded.  I must explain that I am short, lack arm muscles and have had 2 back surgeries, so I need something I can lift without requiring a 3rd back surgery.  I then grabbed the Maclaren for a quick look and decided it just wasn't doing it for me.  The colors it came in this year were blah and for the money it just wasn't that great.  I finally asked the saleswoman what that "neat" looking stroller in the corner was. (yep, I used the word neat).  She brought it over and said it was a great stroller and I would love it.  She didn't know how right she was.  It was gorgeous for starters, in its brilliant diamond white color and it was a tandem that wasn't as heavy as a bus.  It had a simple fold and could be easily taken apart to make it much easier to load and unload from the car.  I asked her what it was and she said it was the Baby Jogger City Select.  How had I never heard of this brand before?  How did I miss this stroller in my endless searches?  And how can I get it?  I was in love with it and was going to have to convince my husband that THIS was the stroller for us.








I was told it was in a high demand and I would have to order it if I wanted it and may have to wait to get the color I wanted.  Well, I was going to have to wait a long time regardless because that stroller was expensive.

I came home and told Peter all about it and his eyes started to glaze over.  I explained all the reasons that this was the ultimate stroller:

1. It is a tandem which makes it much easier to navigate in stores.  Sure, you can get through doorways with a side by side, but you can't always navigate around the clothing racks once you get through those doors. 

2.  It didn't take a muscle man to turn this tandem stroller.

3.  Everything on the stroller is adjustable.  The hood can move up to give additional room.  The foot rests also expand down a bit for when they are older. 

4.  The seats can sit every which way, both forward, both rear, towards each other, etc.

5.  Hand operated brake so you don't have to reach under with your toe and scuff the top of your shoes unlocking the brake.

6.  Huge "bubble" hoods to keep those babes safe from the sun.

7.  Magnetic closures on the hood windows.  You won't startle your baby with the ripping sound of Velcro.

8.  Telescoping handle that is perfect when dealing with a shorty like me and super tall husband.

9.  The fold.  You can fold it with the seats on in one simple step or you can quickly remove the seats and fold the chassis to make it more manageable and lighter for someone like me who isn't supposed to lift a lot of weight.

10.  Forever air tires that don't need to be filled and you don't have to worry about leaks or punctures.

I know there are a lot more features and accessories, but the above 10 are my favorites.

and to be fair these are the things I am not so fond of:

1.  The hood seems to come detached quite easily

2.  Baby Jogger makes you buy the second seat kit before you can add a second car seat attachment or bassinet.  The company can't even keep up with the demand that is out there right now so I think it would be safe to offer the brackets without the second seat.  I think they will still make a profit.














No comments: