Help us build our diaper fund!

Search This Blog

Saturday, April 24, 2010

My Pumping Schedule

Boring but informative.  If you are thinking about exclusively pumping or are already, this is what my pumping schedule has been thus far.

When I started it looked like this:
6am
8am
10am
12noon
2pm
4pm
6pm
8pm
10pm
midnight
and one middle of the night pump (motn)

That would be 11 pumping session in 24 hours.  I started pumping for 15 minutes a session and then increased to 20 minutes for a total of 220 minutes of pumping a day.  I did this for the first 12-weeks to establish my supply.

After the 12-week mark my schedule looked like this:

6am
9am
12noon
2pm
5pm
8pm
10pm
12midnight
motn

This is 9 sessions a day.  I pumped 24 minutes each session so it still equaled 220 minutes of total pumping time.

I quickly decided to drop the motn pump since my babes were sleeping through the night.  I know the exclusively pumping 'experts' will tell you not to, but I didn't listen.  I figured if my babies were sleeping through the night then so should I.  When I dropped the motn pump I increased each session to 27 minutes.

My schedule now looks like this:

6am
9am
12noon
3pm
6pm
9pm
11pm

I chose this schedule because it was close to the times I was doing before but more because it works around my families schedule.  And I am sure you've figured out the math by now, but in case you don't want to, I now pump for 31 minutes per session.

My production hasn't decreased at all with the changed, but I still make sure to check it once in a while. 

If my production stays up then this is what my schedule will be come May 27th:

6am
9am
12pm
3pm
6pm
10pm

These will be, you guessed it, 36 minute long sessions.  This is where I will stay until June 27th when my babes will be 6-months-old.  After that I will decide how much longer I want to keep pumping.  My 1st goal in the whole journey was to make it to 12-weeks and I did that.  Then I made a goal of 6-months.  As of 4/13/2010 I had a freezer stash of 1,659 ounces of breast milk and I plan on using that to help shorten my pumping life :)  That 1,659 ounces of breast milk will give me a one month supply.

No comments: